Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Today is the last day of the tour.  It's crazy that it's already finished, and yet at the same time I feel like I've been gone for months.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't very good for us in Bilbao today.  It drizzled steadily all day long - not a big problem in the morning, as we were inside the Guggenheim until about 12:30, but more of an issue when we were dropped off for free time in the historical center of the city.  The Guggenheim surprised me very pleasantly.  I'm not a huge fan of modern art; don't get me wrong....it can be really interesting!  But my heart lies with the old masters of the Renaissance and Baroque time periods, as well as with the Impressionists.  So I was overjoyed to find that the entire top floor of the museum was currently devoted to Dutch and Flemish artwork!  I was particularly happy to view some Northern art since we had to miss it at the Louvre.  I saw a few pieces by Rembrandt, Jan Breugel the Elder, and Vermeer, among others.  As usual, I was completely flabbergasted by the ability of those amazing artists to take paint and apply it to canvas so skillfully and produce a finished work as realistic as a photograph.  Would that I could learn to paint that way some day!  The rest of the museum exceeded my expectations, also.  There were some photography and abstract exhibits on the second floor that were very engaging, as well as some large modern art pieces on the first floor that caught and held my attention.  Naturally, one of the most impressive things about the Guggenheim is its impressive architecture, designed by Frank Gehry.  I wasn't able to get some of the photos I would have liked, but it was still exciting to see such an unusual and uniquely beautiful piece of architecture!  

After spending time at the Guggenheim, we found a small, Subway-like cafe in the center of Bilbao.  We ate and chatted there for an hour or so, then wandered around the various quaint little shops in the area surrounding.  Unfortunately, many of the stores closed between about 2:30 and 4:00 for the afternoon siesta, which was the exact period of time that we were there.  However, we did manage to find a few fun candy stores and bakeries full of delectable treats!  Our afternoon was cut pretty short because of the rain, and the bus drove us back to the hotel at about 4:00.  Cortney and I made a quick trek across the street to buy some last-minute snacks for our flight home, and now we're busily packing and preparing for the long day of traveling ahead of us tomorrow.

I'm less nervous for the flights tomorrow than I was at the beginning of the trip.  Still, I can't help but have more than a few butterflies!  I know I'll be praying, and I would love it if you would, too.  I loved my time in Europe, but I'm ready to embrace America again with open arms.  Our trip will officially be over at about 9:30 tomorrow night!  I will continue to post during the next few days....I haven't made it very far in the book I chose to read for this trip, and I had planned to put down my thoughts and opinions as I read.  Therefore, you will be hearing from me again soon.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment