Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tomorrow begins my first international journey without my family.  I've been to England many times in the company of my father, mother, and brother to visit my mother's kin, and tomorrow I embark on a trek to Paris, Barcelona, and Bilbao with a group of students from USF.  I'm excited, but incredibly apprehensive and nervous.  I'm a worrier - a huge worrier - and I have the tendency to freak out a little bit every night before I leave on a trip.  Tonight, my anxiety is higher than most times, as I face several flights tomorrow.  I HATE flying.  This is one of many times that I find myself wishing I lived in the world of Harry Potter.  Then I could simply turn sharply and apparate and voila!  I'd be in Paris without the ordeal of speeding through the air at an altitude of 30,000 feet with nothing between my feet and the distant earth but the floor of an airplane.

Moving on....I'd like to talk about what I'm looking forward to, not just what I'm NOT looking forward to. In Paris, I'll get to spend a day at the Louvre, which is a thought that makes me feel that I could faint dead away.  =)  We'll also see the Eiffel Tower, Versailles and its dazzling Hall of Mirrors, and many other things I've read about in my trusty art history textbook.  Naturally, I also plan on doing lots of shopping.  Fashion is an increasing interest of mine, and what better place to explore this avenue than Paris?  Finally, I'll also be reading "Chocolat," by Joanne Harris.  Maybe you've seen the delightful movie based on the novel!  I loved the film, and am excited to read the original creation.

So, in summary, this blog will be dedicated to my thoughts on travel, Paris, Barcelona, literature, food, fears, joys, and faith.  I'm going to be relying on God as much as possible throughout this trip, as it's a huge step for me.  I'm quite timid, shy, reserved....quite fearful.  I have a tendency to let those fears hold me back.  This trip is going to be a huge journey of faith for me as I step outside of my comfort zone in so many levels; leaving the country and spending a week and a half in a foreign nation where a foreign language is spoken without my family members (who provide me with MUCH security) and spending my time with a group of people that I honestly don't know very well, with the exception of one.

So, here's to facing fears, stepping out into new experiences, exploring art, food, literature, and culture....

Saisir le jour!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment